When I recommend something, it really means I have to like it. I am more than happy to recommend Telegram as my go-to messenger app for many many reasons.
So for something I use so much I get annoying. I get persistent and I hope my friends see the light.
Anyway, telegram is a messenger. And it is better than all the rest. The only argument people have is that not everyone is on it. Well I hope I can change that.
Easy Win Features
- It’s cloud based. This means everything is saved in the cloud so if you lose your phone, you don’t lose anything.
- It works on all devices. No more green bubbles from your android friends.
- It works on desktop either as an app or a web site.
- All your conversations are synced between every device. So your conversations are the same everywhere.
- It is fast. iMessage is bloated and soooo slow. Send a photo in iMessage... and wait.
Great Secondary Features
- You can delete messages you have sent.
- You can edit typos.
- You can give friends a username vs a phone number.
- Groups. Lots of them. You can create groups with the same people but for a different topic.
- Sharing is awesome. When you use the share sheet on iOS you can select the most recent conversation from the pop up.
- Stickers. Lots of them and I have even made my own.
- You can also set up a broadcast. When Zak went into the hospital I created a group where I could post updates without having to worry about people replying.
- Secret chat: I always tell my friends who have kids to use this. It allows you to set up a separate conversation with 1 person from phone to phone. You can have the message auto delete so kids won’t see you talk about where you hid the Christmas gifts.
- Share live location is awesome. And so useful.
- You can change the quality of videos you send if you want to save data.
- You can send a gallery of photos.
- You can edit and crop videos.
- If you press the mute button when sending a video, it will send it as a an animated gif.
- If you receiving a voice memo, put the phone to your ear. Listen. After it ends, it will beep. You can then start talking and record a memo back.
- Tapping on the microphone or camera button on the right of the text box, toggles between voice memo and video memo.
- Video memos are quick selfie videos that start sending before you even finish. They show up in a round window.
- Type @gif and a search term and you can find a gif for any reply.
- If someone sends you a sticker and you like it, you can tap on it and add the pack to tour collection.
- Click on the paperclip and select the LOCATION and then you can select to share your location with the person or group for 15 minutes, 1 hour, or 8 hours. It is great when you are meeting a group.
Why I Don’t Like iMessage
I also use iMessage but only for a few people, you know who you are. It was amazing when it came out but other apps have become much more full featured.
- iMessage is Slow. Slow. Slow.
- iMessage Bloated. Bloated Bloated. Especially with the addition of the iMessage App Store.
- Group chats get messed up a lot. Occasionally names will disappear.
- If you are in a group message and you don’t have the contact in your Contacts, the person will show up as a phone number. Not helpful.
- When you share to iMessage you have to type out name or each person in the group. So annoying.
People will argue until the cows come home about privacy. I enjoy privacy and telegram has it good, they aren’t perfect people will argue, but I’m happy that Google and Facebook (messenger and whatsapp) are not using my conversations to market against me. That makes me feel good.
Sharing on Telegram is much easier than sharing to iMessage. I mention this above, but it may not be turned on by default. To turn it on, go to share something, maybe pick a photo from Photos. On the share sheet you will see the apps you can share to. If you can't see Telegram, scroll to the right until you see MORE. Click on it and turn on Telegram. You can re-order the icons in your share sheet too. Every time I have to share something to an iMessage user because you have to type and search for the contact or group you need to share to, Telegram has made it much more eloquent.